Care for the first few days and weeks are extremely important for your new tattoo. For your tattoo to heal nicely you must tend to it properly. Below is the healing process we recommend. Each individual is different, so keep mind that this may not always be the best approach for each person.
1. Leave the bandage that you received after the tattoo on for 2 to 10 hours. Tattoos ooze and this is a normal part of the healing process. The bandage is there to keep airborne bacteria and any other contaminants in the environment from invading your wound.
2. Take bandage off and dispose of in a garbage bag.
3. Make sure your hands are always washed thoroughly before touching your tattoo.
4. After removing the bandage, cleanse the tattooed area with water and mild LIQUID soap (preferably antibacterial). Do not scrub the tattoo with a brush or towel. The idea behind the washing is to eliminate any dead cells have been allowed to accumulate on the surface, and also keep your tattoo clean; preventing an infection.
5. Gently pat the area with a clean paper towel to dry the tattoo.
6. then let the tattoo air dry completely (approximately 10 minutes)
7. Then lightly rub on a THIN layer of lotion such as unscented Lubriderm or unrefined coconut oil.
8. You do not need to re-bandage
9. Repeat steps above for four-five days, approximately THREE-FOUR times a day.
10. After four-five days you can moisturize less.
After a few days you may notice some peeling and possibly some scabbing. It is at this point in the healing process that your tattoo will begin to itch. Resist the urge to scrub, scratch, or pick at the tattoo. Once again, the first few days and weeks are probably the most important for your new tattoo, make sure you care for it properly. Consult your tattoo artist or a physician if you experience symptoms such as excessive swelling, oozing or redness beyond the first two days, yellow or green discharge, and/or a fever.
Go swimming or soak in a hot tub or bath for the first two weeks
Use hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol on your tattoo to clean it; only liquid soap
Itch, pick, or scratch your tattoo
Participate in activities that make you sweat excessively while your tattoo is healing
Touch the tattoo with unwashed hands or allow others to touch the tattoo
Stay out of the sun until your tattoo has healed completely
Apply sun block to tattoo after it has healed whenever it is exposed sun to protect it from damaging ultraviolet rays
Wear loose clothing or keep clothing off of your tattoo as much as possibly during the healing process